Governor Wike’s Convoy Forced To Stop As Truck Crushes Motorcyclist (Photos)


A truck has crushed a motorcyclist to death in broad daylight forcing governor Nyesom Wike’s convoy to a stop in Rivers state.

A hit-and-run truck driver, on Monday, crushed a motorcyclist along the Igwuruta Road in the Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State, Punch Metro reports.

The unidentified commercial motorcyclist was said to have died on the spot.


The accident forced the convoy of Governor Nyesom Wike to stop.


It was gathered the governor alighted from his vehicle to ascertain what happened to the motorcyclist, whose body was lying lifeless on the ground.

READ MORE:  Election: NDLEA Arrests Man With 244 PVCs In Akwa Ibom

The governor was said to have directed medical personnel, who were also in his convoy, to evacuate the accident victim to a mortuary.

It was learnt that a huge crowd gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening, even as the medical personnel positioned their ambulance to evacuate the corpse.

While the governor made enquiry about what happened to the motorcyclist, some eyewitnesses, who volunteered to speak, confirmed that a truck crushed the victim near the Igwuruta roundabout.

READ MORE:  Massive crowd greets PDP’s road show in Anambra

However, a statement signed by the Special Assistant to the Governor on Electronic Media, Mr Simeon Nwakaudu, indicated that Wike personally supervised the evacuation of the victim by the medical personnel.

The statement read in part, “The humanity of the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, was on display as he stopped his convoy to move the corpse of an accident victim killed by a truck.

“The man, who was riding a commercial motorcycle, was crushed near the Igwuruta roundabout along the Port Harcourt Airport Road.

READ MORE:  Court seals popular shopping mall in Abuja

“The governor personally supervised the evacuation of the victim by the medical personnel in an ambulance attached to the convoy.
“Eyewitnesses had told the governor that the victim was crushed to death by a truck in the morning.”

The statement also indicated that the governor supervised the restoration of normal traffic flow in the area before he continued his journey.