We Serve The Best News Around The Globe

Deadly Accident in Anambra as Bus Carrying Burial Guests Crashes into Tipper (Video)

It was tragic along, the Nawfia section of the busy Awka–Onitsha Road on Friday night as a fatal road crash claimed the lives of several persons following a collision between a commercial bus and a tipper truck in Anambra State.

Although eyewitnesses said no fewer than ten persons lost their lives while several others sustained various degrees of injury in the crash, thr Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said it was six persons that died while and five others injured.

The accident involved a 608 commercial bus conveying 32 passengers and a tipper truck. It was gathered that the passengers onboard the bus were returning to Onitsha from Ebonyi State after attending a burial ceremony.

A survivor of the accident recounted that the bus driver had been driving recklessly and engaging in multiple dangerous overtaking maneuvers in a bid to make up for time lost along the journey. According to him, it was one of such risky overtaking attempts that resulted in the fatal collision with the tipper truck.

Confirming the incident, the Anambra State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Bridget Asekhauno, disclosed that the crash occurred at about 6:20pm on Saturday, along the the Nawfia axis of the Awka–Onitsha Road.

She explained that the two vehicles involved in the crash were a yellow-and-black tipper truck with registration number FGG 21XV and a red 608 bus with registration number XQ 398 AA, adding that a total of 32 persons were involved in the accident, including nine adult males and 23 adult females.

According to the FRSC boss, six persons lost their lives in the crash, comprising two adult males and four adult females. She added that five female passengers also sustained injuries, while 21 others escaped unhurt.

She added that all the victims were promptly evacuated to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University Teaching Hospital, Amaku, where medical personnel confirmed the deaths of the six victims, while the injured were admitted for treatment.

The FRSC also confirmed that the accident caused a temporary obstruction along the road, which was later cleared by rescue officials, allowing traffic flow to return to normal.

While expressing condolences to the families of the deceased, Asekhauno also prayed for the speedy recovery of those receiving medical attention. She emphasized that the incident is an evidence of the grave dangers associated with reckless driving and dangerous overtaking on highways.

She urged motorists to always obey traffic regulations, exercise patience on the road, and place the safety of all road users above speed and personal convenience.

The FRSC also reaffirmed its commitment to enforcing traffic laws, intensifying public road safety awareness, and providing rapid emergency response to accident victims across Anambra State.

Watch a video from the scene below: