We formerly wrote on how to apply for a Nigerian passport online. This time, we shall look at how much does the Nigerian International Passport cost currently this 2023.
One of the necessary things you must have to travel abroad is your international passport. You should also be aware that there are two types of Nigerian passport namely: The 64 pages passport and the 32 pages passport. The difference between both passport has been covered extensively here. But note that the 64 pages passport was introduced for Nigerians who travel frequently especially when they exhaust their 32 pages.
The cost of the Nigerian international passport for the new 64-page passport is ₦70,000 with a 10 year validity period and ₦35,000 for five years. Applicants for the new 32-page passport with a five year validity period costs ₦25,000 at the Nigerian immigration service office this March, 2023.
The NIS said the registration and the issuance of new international e-passport will begin from Abuja. Many Nigerians have expressed dismay at the price of this travel/identification document.
Renewal of the Nigerian International Passport
If there should be any need for renewal of a passport, it would be the same amount paid for 64 pages and same amount goes for lost passport also. We often advise that you apply for a new Nigerian passport and avoid the stress attached to renew an old passport.
The Nigerian government extended commencement of the new passport regime for one week from March 1st to March 8th. This is to ensure that the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) improve itself for quick service delivery.
Documents Needed to Apply For a Nigerian Passport
Before you would register or apply for the passport, the following documents should be made available at the Immigration Office:
- Passport Application Form
- Your payment slip
- Local government state of origin
- Birth certificate document
- Driver’s license and
- Two recent passport sized photographs in white background.
Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service website to know more about the cost and application for a Nigerian International passport.
Update March, 2023. THE NEW E-PASSPORT
According to the Punch, the cost of new international passport by categories include:
- 32-page five-year standard passport stood at ₦25,000;
- 64-page five-year standard passport at ₦35,000;
- 64-page 10-year standard passport at ₦70,000
The Nigeria Immigration Service says it will commence issuance of new passport in the Federal Capital Territory from March 4, 2023.
The new e-passport was officially launched by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, March 16.
The introduction of new enhanced passport booklet and passport with a 10-year validity had various category of passports and approved fees.
The cost of 32-page five-year standard passport price is ₦25,000; 64-page five-year standard passport costs ₦35,00; 64-page 10-year standard passport price is ₦70,000; and 32-page five-year official passport costs ₦15,000.
The new passport has advantages which include passport with 10-year validity, self-tracking of application and express centers for urgent application.
Other advantages include weather friendliness, compliance with latest ICAO standard, polycarbonate technology that reduced incidence of damage as well saves Nigerians in the Diaspora time of frequent visits to Nigerian Embassies.
Passport Application Guidelines: How To Apply
1. Visit the Nigeria Immigration website
2. Find & click on the appropriate application form to begin:
- e-Passport Application Form
- MRP – Passport Application Form (Not Applicable In All Missions)
3. Choose a passport type “Standard e-Passport” or “Official e-Passport”, then click the ‘Start Application’ button.
4. Carefully fill the selected form; check the ‘I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS FORM’ check box then click the “PRINT” Button to print filled form.
5. Click on ‘Submit Application’ button to view ‘Applicant details page’
6. Click on “Proceed to Online Payment”
7. Click to select Payment Currency “Pay in Naira” or “Pay in Dollars” option then Click on ‘Continue’ button
8. Select the currency type you want to use to make payment (Naira or USD):
9. If you choose to pay in Naira, you will be asked to select PayType (payment method): “Bank”, “Credit OR Debit card”.
10. If you want to go and pay at the bank, selected “Bank” and click continue.
11. View the list of participating banks and then click on ‘Continue’.
12. The “Print Acknowledgment” button will help you print “Payment Acknowledgment Slip” with Transaction ID, Application ID & Reference Number.
13. With the copy of your Payment acknowledgement slip, proceed to a participating bank for payment.
On making payment at the bank, you MUST be issued with an ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt that contains a “Validation Number”. You will need the “Validation Number” for confirmation of payment on the portal.