Loading...

Commotion As Cultists Invade Two Secondary Schools In Edo, Injure Students

0
19
Advertisement
Loading...

Some cultists have reportedly invaded two secondary schools in Edo state, leaving many students injured.

According to a report Punch Metro, some suspected cult members, on Tuesday, disrupted academic activities at the Oba Akenzua Secondary School and the Ihogbe College in Benin, Edo State.

The prompt intervention of police personnel, however, saved what could have been a free-for-all, as several pupils were reportedly wounded with knives and cutlasses by the invaders.

Both schools are adjacent to each other and are located on the ICE Road, off Wire Road, Benin.

Advertisement
READ MORE:  Courageous Dog Kills Cobra That Invaded Its Master's Home (Photos)

Eyewitnesses said the teachers and pupils ran in different directions when the alleged cultists started shooting and attacking the pupils.

Loading...

It was gathered that the suspected cultists were heading towards a target in the area when some pupils, suspected to be junior members of a rival cult group, started throwing stones at them.

Thereafter, the cultists stormed the schools and started attacking any pupil in sight.

READ MORE:  Okorocha In Trouble As INEC Insists It Will Not Give Him Certificate Of Return

One of the pupils was said to have been seriously injured and was rushed to the hospital.

Heavy presence of security personnel was noticed around the schools when our correspondent visited.

It was observed that two of the suspected attackers, who were arrested by the police, were crying and insisting that they were innocent.

A resident of the area said cult-related attacks had been on the rise in recent times.

The Edo State Commissioner for Education, Emmanuel Agbale, who confirmed the incident, said no student was killed in the attack.

READ MORE:  Imported political thugs arrested in Akwa-Ibom state ahead of 2019 Governorship Election (Photos)

Agbale said policemen were quickly drafted to the area and the cultists were chased away.

“The pupils of both schools have always engaged each other in fights. Security will be beefed up in the area. Plans are also on to merge both schools. For now, the schools will not be shut down due to the attack,” the commissioner stated.

Advertisement
Loading...